Monday, July 22, 2013

Is this the tiniest anvil in the world?

   
     I am sure that somewhere in India or Ecuador or any of the many places around the world where people make amazing things using only what they have at hand, there is a man banging out doll jewelry on an anvil the size of a cough drop, but in my personal experience, this is a teeny tiny anvil.  I have placed a soda bottle lid next to it for scale and no, it's not from some kind of luxury Coca Cola that costs 5 US dollars a bottle but from a half liter bottle of Mexican Coca Cola that the manufacturers have suggested selling for 5 pesos (do they still say neuvos pesos as they did during my last visit in '93?).
     I use this tiny anvil to help make findings for the fossil jewelry I have started creating.
     The process is enjoyable but initially required me to build up some plier calluses.  Everything is in baby steps for me and I look forward to someday adding  tiny torches to my tool chest and skill set.  
     I'm proud of my megalodon tooth necklace.  I found the tooth, drilled it, made the necklace, and wear it around Florida in the hopes of running into another fossil geek who knows what it is.
     Probably the most important thing I have learned so far in regards to making jewelry:  it cannot be done when my 3 stepsons, ranging in age from 9-14, are running amok in my house.  Even if they don't bump or bounce me, my hands shake a little from all the commotion.  The fear of getting bumped or bounced is almost as bad as the real thing.  Consequently, if I dare to bead while the boys are there, the tile grout of my living room gets a bedazzling.


No comments:

Post a Comment