Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Serenity NOW: Searching for the perfect printer

The title of today's post was inspired by this vehicle
tucked into a little parking space at the mall:
I don't know anything about this person's business but if you take a look at his logo (I'm assuming this truck is owned by a male and I'm fairly certain I'm right),
 he's channeling A LOT of different influences:
Man of Steel,
Firefly,
Seinfeld,
and Grave Digger
Find your serenity where you can.
(I'm picturing this whole mess on a t-shirt.  I call copyright!)

     I recently had to upgrade to a new phone and the technology learning curve is anything but serene  for me.  One of my main goals was to ensure that I could print directly from my phone, cutting out the annoying laptop middleman when copying recipes and knitting patterns.  
Should've been easy.

Since chickens always look mean and annoyed, I'm illustrating 
my experience with pictures of their angry little faces...
Printer #1: Cannon
   To be fair, the Cannon box only stated, "Print from your smartphone or tablet," but truth in advertising might require them to preface that blurb with, "If you think you're some kind of a tech genius..."  
      I wasted 2 hours struggling and cursing before I crammed it all back into the box and returned it to WalMart.  "No, there's nothing wrong with it," I told the clerk.  Thankfully, no other questions were asked and feeling a little embarrassed, I picked out a second printer.

Printer #2: Epson Envy
     The Epson box clearly stated, "Print EASILY from your smartphone or tablet."  I was already peeved as I opened the second printer because, dammit, I shouldn't have to be a computer programmer to get this thing to easily print from my SMARTphone and I sure as hell shouldn't feel embarrassed when a slickly designed product with a name like "Envy" doesn't come through on its promises.
So there!
     I only spent an hour trying to get this printer to work before I crammed it back into the box and returned it from whence it came.

Printer #3: Brother
     As you can see, the chicken as well as my anger is diminishing; resignation creeping in.
     On the advice of a client, I stepped my game up and went to Best Buy to purchase a Brother printer.  I stood alone in the aisle, facing down the display model, desperately wanting to ask a few questions about the statement on the box that read, "Print easily from your smartphone or tablet," but Best Buy sales people were as rare as, pardon me this, hen's teeth.
Fine!  What do I care?  
     I've got a whole new way of dealing with this problem so, armed with a receipt and a 14-day return policy, I headed home with my third printer.  The MFC-J475DW looks serious, almost military, and a bit old school: separate cartridges for each ink color AND a telephone line cord in case I start faxing my blog posts to Google. 
But it worked.
IT WORKED!
It easily printed from my smartphone and I didn't have to be smart to make that happen.

Serenity...at last!






No comments:

Post a Comment