Monday, October 21, 2013

Those dang reward points

     Yes, that might be me, dipping into your recycling bin to retrieve Coke reward points.
     Whether or not I pick up a bottle cap depends on how much embarrassment I am willing to shoulder on any given day.  My stepsons HATE it when they are with me and I pick up a bottle cap.  That just spurs me on because I'm sure it's teaching them some important life lesson; of course I'll be damned if I know what it is.
     One time, when I stopped my bike to retrieve a cap out of someone's recycling bin, an older lady glared at me from her porch and almost before I could ride away, came down and dragged her bin out of reach of the street mongrels.  Had I been tossing cans and bottles over my shoulders in a frantic search through her trash, I might have understood, but I was being very tidy and conscientious; I, too, have had my recycling ransacked for aluminum cans, although the scrappers are usually fairly careful.
     Speaking of aluminum cans, I used to applaud the people who collected them from the bins to turn in for cash, thinking that it helped them earn a little pocket change without hurting anyone, until someone told me that the aluminum cans help pay for the cost of the recycling pick-up and the scrappers are stealing.
     Oh well...you just can't win.  But if anyone wants to hassle with entering reward points into the Coke web site, best keep you lids with you coz once they're on the street, they're fair game!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment