Monday, October 21, 2013

Tit for Tat

I couldn't resist!
     I visited a friend's home this morning to feed their critters while they are out of town and saw this ant bait tin.  Some of us resist dousing our homes in pesticides but it is an uneasy balance.  Florida wants in, in all it's creepy, multi-legged forms!
     How fun, though, to visit another very interesting yard in central Florida.  Like myself, they are averse to a traditional lawn and their large yard affords them room to grow wide sweeping plants like this beauty berry.
     They have fabulous pineapples interspersed in a large bromeliad bed.
     These little touch-me-nots are so pretty and even at my age, I enjoy watching the leaves fold shut after brushing them with my fingers.
     I've heard this bromeliad referred to as "burglar bush" which is understandable:  if you plant it around your fence, no one will pass through it.  Tough to get pups, though!
It was hard for me to resist plucking a head of lettuce from the big galvanized tub they use as a planter...
 ...but the real meat and potatoes of my visit was filling cat bowls with food and water and distributing leafy greens and hibiscus blossoms to a variety of tortoises.
     I know this will sound silly, especially to any tortoise owners, but I'm scared of these guys!
   Look at that face!  This tortoise wants lettuce, NOW!






No comments:

Post a Comment