Thursday, January 30, 2014

Eggies and other product reviews

I have lots of eggs.

     My chickens have been working overtime!
     Mike bought me a set of Eggies for Christmas because neither of us likes to peel hard boiled eggs.  I tried the Eggies out yesterday on my lunch break.  The "fast & easy" description is not entirely accurate.  Each Eggie is composed of 4 separate, slightly ill-fitting parts that must be securely connected before the egg can start to cook AND the dang things have to be oiled each time so that the egg can slip out after it's done.  I'm no mathematician but 6 Eggies, each composed of 4 components is...well...a crapload of work!  By the 4th Eggie, my hands were trembling a little because my lunch break was OVER.  Then I had to crack each egg into the Eggie which got a little messy because I was in a hurry.
     The flipside of the experience is that once the eggs were cooked, it was amazingly easy to pop them out of the Eggie and get busy on my egg salad.  Will the end justify the means?  Am I using that phrase correctly?  Only time will tell.
     It must also be noted that my hens lay small eggs which yield a cooked egg that looks like a hard boiled egg cut in half.  I mention this because it would not be suitable for a deviled egg unless I cut the bottom off each egg so that it would balance.  I am considering using extra egg white to fill the Eggie to the top.  It will create a Texas-size huevo del diablo (just making that up) but everyone loves deviled eggs!
     A cautious "2 thumbs up".

Behold the most hideous slides in the world!
     I was desperate and WalMart was out of black so this is what I ended up with.
     I love my Okabashi slides (http://www.okabashi.com/ ) but they finally wore out and I'm doing some serious penny pinching these days.  Choices must be made.  Painful choices...
     On the flipside,

     It's definitely time to take my Soviet sweat jacket (purchased from a Soviet athlete at the 1983 University Games in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada for $30 "hard currency") out of storage, pair it with my Chinese green plastic slides (shiny, 3-stripe Adidas sweat pants will complete the look...AND I have those!) and sink back into the warm fuzzy memories of my impressionable youth in the 80's when my parents actually let me follow a Soviet men's volleyball team to Canada.  The mitigating factor in the making of their decision was that Nadia Comaneci would be there, too, and she was "ok" in their book.

And now: my new favorite bowl!
I love Pepper Creek Pottery.
     So much pottery, so little time, but I know that if I am in the Homosassa area and can get to Pepper Creek Pottery (https://www.facebook.com/peppercreekpots), Angela and Martha will have the perfect bowl for me in an affordable price range.  It's a tiny gem of a store so please visit if you can.
     I eat many of my meals out of pottery bowls.  I like the feel of a bowl in my hands and I appreciate the aesthetics of Asian meals that are served in bowls.  Maybe I was set on this path many years ago when my Spanish professor admired a bowl in a Mexican market and told me that for her, it was all about the "mezcla", the mixing of the ingredients and I know she was talking about "la vida" as much as her next meal.

...now I'm hungry...





No comments:

Post a Comment