Thursday, January 30, 2014

A serious post about pigeon peas

     I first planted pigeon peas two years ago after reading an article in a Florida gardening magazine regarding edible plants well-suited for the difficult growing conditions found in the sunshine state.  Since I did no other research, my learning curve with pigeon peas has been steep, for instance, I had no idea that the plants would grow into tall shrubs.  When a Puerto Rican friend saw my sky high bean trees, she laughed and said, "We usually prune them so that we can reach the beans."
     Thinking that this year's pea crop was a bust, I lopped the trees down, with the hope that the bare stumps will leaf out in the spring.  I was very surprised to find, hiding in the tree tops several feet over my head, a harvest of pigeon pea pods.
     My crop of pigeon peas represented all stages of maturity so it was a good learning experience.  I shelled a full cup of fresh green peas, ready to cook with some yellow rice, and 3/4 cup of marginal older or dried peas, which I will use for replanting...because now I need more bean trees!
     A friend sent me a Wikipedia link and I felt a little embarrassed that I was so ignorant of the pigeon pea's storied history, starting in India (I've probably eaten toor dal in Indian restaurants) and spreading, pretty much, around the world.  I became aware of the pigeon pea when I moved to Florida and a Puerto Rican coworker kept feeding me amazing dishes with "gandules" thrown in.
     The Wikipedia description states, "The crop is cultivated on marginal land by resource-poor farmers."   Hello!  Not to make light of the unimaginable struggles faced by people living in developing countries but what a perfect edible plant for my yard!  Apparently the yield drops after a few years so I'm trying to picture where I can stagger plantings of pigeon peas.
     As I read about the nutritive value of this humble, easy to grow plant, I thought of my quest to grow a moringa tree (please visit https://www.facebook.com/strongharvest for more information regarding this amazing plant).  What a rewarding little journey transforming my suburban Florida yard into beautiful refuge that actually affords some nutrition!
Man, I've got it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment