Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Foolhardy determination

It's springtime,
which, in Florida, means it's 85° by 9 AM.
I have a gaggle (and I use that term incorrectly) of Carolina wrens trying to nest in my yard,
or more specifically, in my shed.
Since I got my new/used toy, a lapidary slab saw, I am about to embark on a lot of "shed time" and I don't want to scare the wrens to the point of abandoning babies.
Wrens gotta go!
It took me awhile to find where they were building their first nest: 
in the bag on the front of my bicycle.
Don't they know 
I'm going to ride that thing at least once in 2015?!
I dismantled the nest before they could start laying eggs and zipped the pouch shut but they still kept coming into my shed with leaves and twigs and dachshund fur.

I definitely use my kayak anchor more than my bicycle so a second nest had to be dismantled.
They got the hint.

Other news in the world of foolhardy determination:
Coconuts
A friend gave me some coconuts and while I know there is good stuff inside, I have not a clue how to get to it.  Do not sign me up for an episode of Naked and Afraid (for a variety of reasons)!
I hammered at one of them for 15 minutes with a 2lb sledge and didn't even mar the outer surface.
I called in my neighbors from Trinidad and they knew exactly what to do: 
they took the coconuts away from me.
The trade-off is that this weekend, they will deliver 
enough amazing curry to feed me through the weekend.

The Trinidad neighbors also told me
that I could easily preserve all my Meyer lemons by washing them and popping them into the freezer. When I need lemon juice, I take one out and either microwave it or let it set in the 
springtime sun for 5 minutes.
True to form, 
I've just been slicing them, as is, and using them in lieu of ice cubes in my G&T.

And the determination to grow vegetables...
The small, sickly plant in front is the "goal" vegetable, a pepper plant.
Towering to the left is a mushroom and behind the pepper is a weed that is sure to outpace my pepper plant, if the pepper plant survives.  At least the chickens haven't found a way in yet, but I did have to chase a flock of ibis out.  I think the ibis are only looking for bugs but they would have no compunction about trampling my seedlings.

And now for a review:
This is a shandy made with grapefruit soda
and it's pretty darn tasty.

Have a great week!








No comments:

Post a Comment