Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Wool scarves and tank tops

Yes, I am modeling one of my knit scarves in a tank top.
     I love knits but I love Florida, too, so I don't get a lot of opportunities to wear knits.  I love the process of knitting so I opened an Etsy shop because I'm going to keep knitting and I might as well try to sell some of the things I knit.  They're not flying off the cyber-shelves (there's a LOT of competition) but I do make a sale here and there.

  Two recent donations of fabulous yarn have me imagining the Hindu goddess, Kali, with all her arms,  knitting.  Oh, to have such an advantage!
    Normally I try to find free patterns on Ravelry but the influx of yarn made me feel indulgent and I purchased a pattern book at Joann's.  "Easy"...that's what I like.  How can you go wrong with "Easy"?
Well, you could leave out important parts of the instructions, that's how.  
     I took the book to the sports bar with me so I'd have something to do on commercial breaks during the Patriots/Broncos game.  The pattern called for a linen stitch but after following the stitch guide for several rounds, it was apparent that my hat was not going to resemble the photo.  Thank goodness for YouTube and iPhones.  I watched a quick video of a linen stitch and noted that my book's instructions left out half of the stitch. Wow.  I started over and the brim began to take shape.  I got quite a bit done during the first half of the game because there was Patriot blood in the water and I couldn't bear to witness our humiliation.  By the time I realized another part of the instructions was incorrect, the Patriots were in the midst of a stunning comeback so I set the project aside to correct the next day.
And lest your minds head in that direction, the India Pale Ale had nothing to do with my knitting difficulties.  I am adept at happy hour knitting; maybe not something to brag about but a skill, nonetheless.




No comments:

Post a Comment