Monday, March 31, 2014

This is not as scary as it looks.

     It's a nifty device (made in Germany) for hollowing out eggs.  You only need to make one tiny hole (kit includes a small hole-boring device) and you don't have to black out trying to create Easter keepsakes.  I ordered this from Surma, a store catering to crafters of Ukrainian-style decorated eggs. 
     I attempted the Ukrainian wax-resist decorating technique exactly one time which was enough to understand that it would not be my mode of artistic expression.  But the egg blower is a blast!


Kale: it's what's for dinner!
I couldn't be happier with my Ragged Jack heirloom kale.
     Looking at this beautiful handful of greens, I already feel sad for wishing it could go one like this all summer but even though the catalogue blurb says this kale can withstand higher temps, we all know they don't mean Florida-high temps.  Oh well...I'll enjoy it while I can.

     I'm almost done transplanting the cukes and cherry tomatoes and I set my pigeon pea seedlings out in my new "Pigeon Pea Bed" (ta da!) so now there's nothing to do but wait.

     With the hardest chores out of the way, I can enjoy a Florida spring:
Tabebuia blossoms carpeting my drive.

Stunning (albeit slightly alien) bromeliad blooms.

Wha-what?!
My first pineapple in a looong time!  
My mouth is watering for the treat that is only, like, 8 months away.

One sad camellia bloom (that brown edge was there even when it was just a bud).
Still trying to figure out camellias...

A Venezuelan orchid that smells like ass.
I post pics of this every so often. I bought it years ago at an orchid show and out of all the orchids I've killed, this one persists.  
And continues to smell like ass (fly pollinated).

This spring orchid does not smell like anything,
and that's ok.

Every year I get one of these desk calendars via a friend of my sister's.  It's exciting to sort through all the patterns.  I eliminate the ones I'm not interested in, then eliminate the ones I'm not advanced enough to figure out, and that leaves me with a solid handful of projects to knit throughout the year.  The eliminated patterns are passed on to other knitters.

     I'd like to take this time to say, I miss stamps.
     I know they still exist but asking a postal worker to decorate a letter or parcel with the beautiful building blocks of their very trade is akin to pulling out a checkbook in a long line at the grocery store: nobody's happy about it.
     My German pen pal (yes, since 1981) takes the time to cover every missive that's sent through the postal service with these amazing stamps.  Despite my mental promises to do the same, whenever I'm  at the head of a long line at the post office, the computer always spits out another bar-coded abomination (strong word for a postage sticker but I think it applies) before I can work up the courage to ask for actual stamps.
     Next time!

     It's late and I'm craving dessert but looking at this scary picture cures my craving.  Whenever I see ice cream at the store that is welded to the shelf in a Thing-like block of frost, I demure.  Summer is coming and I'll reconsider then.















No comments:

Post a Comment