Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fiesta Mini-Mart: a review

     One of my first big international trips was to Mexico in 1987.
That's me doing a handstand on an ancient sacrificial altar at Chichen Itza.  
     
     That trip cemented in my mind an impression of what it means to be "on vacation" which remains  with me to this day.  Subsequent trips to Latin locales including Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua only served to reinforce that feeling.

     So when I wandered into the Fiesta mini-mart in tiny Bowling Green, Florida last weekend, I got that sweet feeling of being "on vacation".  
     The Fiesta market services a large population of agricultural laborers.  I walked in to salsa music, a ceiling festooned with piñatas, and a selection of goods ranging from Guatemalan-made leather work boots, canvas orange picker bags, 3 brands of chorizo (as well as many other food items), rows of various flavored horchata drinks, etc., etc.
     
     I approached the deli counter and was about to bust out my high school Spanish when the older woman serving the food quickly circumvented a confusing interaction with a güera by calling over the smiling cashier who switched effortlessly between Spanish and English.  
     I still managed to ask, "¿Tiene tenedores?" but next time, I'll make sure to sneak up on her before she can escape!

     The most intriguing item for me was a plate of candied fruit covered in plastic wrap on the counter by the cash register.
I purchased a candied orange peel for $1.
The whole orange peel with the insides scooped out.
It was yummy and fun to eat and health regulations be damned!
I'm not sick yet (fingers crossed).
As soon as I got home, I bought a bag of organic oranges that I'm going to candy.

     I must admit, I initially shunned the Fiesta market because they don't offer pay-at-the-pump gasoline so I never made it into the store.  Now I plan to stop there whenever I'm in the area for treats and a mental pick-me-up.  
¡Viva las vacaciones!









No comments:

Post a Comment