Saturday, August 31, 2013

If you can't beat 'em...

  I can't officially say I practice xeriscaping since I don't rely on native species but in my yard, if you can't hack it, you're outta there!
     Here's one of my favorite agaves, a green and yellow variegated variety that I started from a pup I nabbed from an abandoned house.  The parent plant was massive so I have high hopes for this slow grower.
     I don't irrigate my yard and when the weather gets cold, you won't see me out there covering everything with sheets.  My plants have to be able to survive on their own.
     This agave was given to my by a friend.  It was tiny when I got it and has quickly filled out into this round shape.
     People have always complimented me on my green thumb but I freely admit that there's no skill involved.  I simply have a willingness to give up immediately instead of coddling a brown twig in the hopes that it will come back from the brink of death.  The minute a plant starts to fail it's off to the compost pile.  I might be so willing to give up because I rarely spend any real money on plants.
     This blue agave was another pup that had grown outside of a landscaped area and was on the verge of being discarded.  This plant will eventually be as tall as me but it's a slow grower and seems to use large amounts of its energy creating pups.  Stop, I say!  Focus! Grow!
     Here's my most recent start; yet another errant pup growing into the roadway from the landscaped area.  I spied it as soon as Mike and I parked and I said, "I have to go look at this plant!"  He knows what's coming so he averted his face and pretended not to know me.  The parent plant was huge!  
     A couple years ago a friend took me to an amazing succulent wholesaler and that was one time where I allowed myself to spend a few bucks.  The plants were so cheap compared to retail! Of course. These plants are obviously tough; my stepsons once asked, "Why are all your plants so painful?"
     I mix them up with a lot of different varieties because as much as I love them, I like other plants, too.
     Ok, maybe I should've drawn the line before filling a strawberry pot with aloes.












No comments:

Post a Comment