Saturday, August 17, 2013

Reading from the big book of upholstery swatches

     Many years ago, in a state far, far away, one of my friends worked for an interior design company.  The business handled stacks of upholstery swatch books which had to be renewed as old fabrics were discontinued, new fabrics introduced, etc. and many of the discarded books were given to me for use in craft projects.  Looking through the "pages" of fabrics was always a pleasurable experience.  The colors were deep and saturated, the materials plush, and the firm offered many natural fiber options so there were entire swatch books of silks, wools, linens, and cottons.
     Mostly I made quilts.  Everyone in my family got a quilt and some wall hangings, too.  It was a fun time and I missed having that rainbow of fabrics at my fingertips.
     Recently, however, someone saw my Facebook post regarding the wristlets I am making for my Etsy shop and offered me a couple of swatch books that she had in her storeroom.
     How exciting to once again have access to this treasure!  I hope I sell some zippered pouches because I can't wait to make more and maybe I'll even come up with other ideas for little projects although I must admit, my quilting days are done.  I like a mobil craft and knitting fits the bill for that.
     And now I must post a photo I took while riding my bike through town to pick up the gift of the swatch books.
     I've been driving past this display of swan planters for years.  That's a lot of swan planters.  If you look closely, you can see them stretching to the back of the yard on the left side of the photo.
The homeowner came out, deeply suspicious, and grilled me as to why I was taking a photo of her yard.  I didn't verbalize it at the time but if you're going to set your swan planters outside, next to a busy street, I'm not sure you have a lot of say over whether or not someone stops in the thoroughfare to take a photo.  I'm just sayin'...



No comments:

Post a Comment