Thursday, June 19, 2014

Prison and knitting

So began... and one Netflix marathon later... Ended
Season 2 of "Orange is the New Black."
     "Orange is the New Black" is one of those shows that I don't really like but I can't stop watching.  Not that I needed it, but I'm scared straight, in a couple of different ways.  Nothing about prison would work for me so I plan on never going there, yet the show put me in a brief, Netflix incarceration of my own making.  I followed Martha Stewart's lead (short of actually going to jail) by knitting my time away.

     I was definitely doing soft time.
This photo is not a setup.
     I opened my freezer to place the Diet Coke inside for rapid chilling and was greeted by this contraband tableau.  It's not all bad; see the whole grain bread peeking out from the back?

     Halfway through the season (watching it episode after episode in nearly unbroken succession) I took a break at the pool and was startled to see this young woman who appeared to be a character from the show:
     I briefly considered fuzzing out her eyes to protect her anonymity but decided that the facial and neck tattoos are fairly conclusive forms of public ID.  I spoke with her briefly and she was a lovely girl but you can't blame me for making the comparison.

     As night fell, I needed some white noise to drown out the sounds in my head: female inmates screaming at each other and tinnitus unrelated to the show.
The "Tropical Rain" setting on this Ipnos white noise app is the best!
(a review)
     My fevered brain is able to hear the end of the computer loop on a lot of white noise apps which only increases my agitation; or the apps featuring "rain" have thunder and lightening sounds (which scare me) or insect sounds (which scare me).  This "tropical rain" is smooth and perfect and cancels surrounding noises like a champ.  Every time I sign on, the app encourages me to upgrade to the 99¢ version but I'd actually like to downgrade to the version that only has "Tropical Rain" coz that's all I need.

On the final night of viewing
there was another prisoner in my house
I was birdsitting this rescued baby mockingbird for a friend and 
while you can see its anger at being locked up...

It was NOT on a hunger strike.
I cannot believe how many waxworms and crickets this tiny bird ate
 in the few hours I was caring for it.

     There is a scene in one of the episodes of "Orange is the New Black" where a character rants out a scathing description of bloggers.  I watched with a mix of emotions and thoughts.
       Am I a blogger?  I do write 2 blogs but...am I that blogger?  Should I feel embarrassed? amused? all of the above?
     As usual, I decided none of it applied to me because I am different and special.  

     I simultaneously finished season 2 and the shopping bag I was knitting.
Free at last!






No comments:

Post a Comment